Saturday, February 23, 2008

Learning at School Conference

We got back last night to a blustery wet Auckland after a great time in Rotorua at the conference. As usual it was a great venue, fantastic food, interesting exhibitors and inspiring workshops and presentations. I went to some of the Mac IWorks 08 workshops so I can work with teachers from Richmond Road, Newton Central and Ponsonby Intermediate Schools on these apps. I am really impressed with the new features on Keynote, these features integrate with the other apps - Pages and Numbers and I am looking forward to sharing these with you at our PD sessions.
I went to the all day workshop on Marvin as well. I can't wait to share this with teachers! It is a 3D animation tool which has been provided for schools at very little cost ($200 per school unlimited license) I can see this will be great for working with our bi-lingual and immersion units to create exciting digital stories in their heritage language! If you want to have a preview of this and download the evaluation version go to the Marvin web site. The evaluation copy has a limited amount of characters, there are many more when you purchase the license and it is being upgraded all the time. I noticed an article about this programme in the Herald last Wednesday.
Interactive whiteboards featured in many exhibitor stands. There are so many options out there! I was very interested to find out about the first multiple user interactive whiteboard which has been made in NZ. I spoke to Pablo Garcia (you may know him from Manzana - SMARTBoards) who explained about the special world first features - multiple touch means that several users can use the board at the same time so this would be great for collaborative grouping activities.
If you go to my delicious site (see link on side menu) and go to the IWB section on the cloud list you will see I have many links to the different IWB sites and templates.
I will also be posting some extra resources and tutorials from my learning experiences at the conference on our cluster wiki
Cheers,
Angie

No comments: